Friday, July 3, 2009

A donor speaks out

One of the most rewarding parts of my participation in Enduro Africa thus far has been the chance it has created to raise awareness about the devastating impact HIV continues to have, both globally and domestically.

And from time to time, I hear the most touching stories from others. Not long ago, a generous donor sent the following note:
I read about your upcoming journey in The Gazette. Your sense of adventure and your work with HIV/AIDS is inspirational.

I had the opportunity to live and work in rural East Africa ten years ago and I have also witnessed the devastating effects of the then unspeakable disease.

I am grateful to people like you, who are assisting people to find treatment and who care.

I wish you well on your path and hope the people of Africa nourish your soul the way they did mine.

I'm still floored by this note.

But in truth, my contribution to the global fight against HIV through Enduro Africa pales by comparison to the things so many people in the world are doing. Even so, it has been an unexpected opportunity to bring attention to a critical issue. And for for that, I'm extremely grateful.

Thanks, donors and fans one and all. Please keep sending your comments - or simply post them here.

And stay tuned. The adventure continues.

No comments: