The Republic of South Africa is a country located at the southern tip of Africa, with a 2,798 kilometres (1,739 mi) coastline on the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. To the north lie Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe, to the east are Mozambique and Swaziland, while Lesotho is an independent country surrounded by South Africa.Some quick facts about South Africa:
- Capital: Pretoria (Joburg is the largest city)
- Official languages: 11, including Afrikaans, English, Xhosa
- Population: ~50 million
- Distance: Washington, DC - Port Elizabeth = ~8250 miles, bearing SE
- Time difference: UTC+2 (or +6 hrs ahead of Washington DC)
- South Africa is about twice the size of Texas, and ranks 32d in the world for area.