Saturday, February 14, 2009

Top 10 Fundraising Ideas

It's been a little over a week since I launched my campaign to raise funds and awareness for Enduro Africa (EA) and I've been simply bowled over by the response. 

Several friends and colleagues have contributed (thank you, dear Donor Hall of Famers) and scores of others have pledged to do so. Some have asked how to join the trip! It's just been a great opportunity to talk about HIV prevention, charities, adventures we always dreamed of taking, and making a difference in the world.

Soon, I'll post milestones for fundraising offered by EA, which I'll need to work hard to catch -- given how late I was registered and got everything started. 

In the meantime, I will need to step up my efforts to get the word out and funds raised. My leading ideas for getting the word out, most of which are low-hanging fruit, include: 

  • Distribute information to neighbors by pounding the pavement, posting to the citizens association website, etc.
  • Visit and enlist support/donations from area businesses (e.g., Bethesda Urban Partnership, chamber of commerce).
  • Interest the media.
  • Post regular blog updates on training, fundraising, and the trip itself. 
  • Spread word via e-social networking sites.
  • Ask friends/colleagues to help spread the word by linking to blog, posting the fundraising widget on sites, etc.
  • Distribute postcards everywhere we go -- restaurants, events, etc. 
  • Visit area motorcycle, biking, and adventure retailers to talk with owners, customers. 
  • Invite readers to sign up for RSS feeds for automatic updates. 
  • Give birth to octuplets.

Many of you have had experience raising funds and spreading news. What worked best for you? 

No comments: